Friday, January 2, 2009

No USB port for me = No pictures for you

No pictures today unfortunately. I (Kate) only have a few minutes so try to make sense of the typos. We are still in Orchha. We took a cooking class today at a local's home. Her name is Vandara and she was very patient when I tried to make chapatis. We visited a castle in the morning and sqaw the six rooms of the king's concubines. (One for each day of the week and one day for rest.) The king made a secret passageway to each of their rooms so the queen wouldn't know what was going on. I can't imagine any wife would not know her husband was keeping concubines in the house. I imagine she didn't mind because she had a few secret passages of her own.

The other interesting story is that yesterday I bought a charm for a friend. We showed the charm to Vandara and she shook her head. "No! Not for you!" It turns out this particular charm should only be worn by Hindus. If my friend had worn this charm and met a Hindu, it might have offended that person. We went back to the silver merchant and traded for a new charm (one that was recommended by Vandara.) I hope the gods will forgive us.

1 comment:

  1. When I build my castle it will have secret passageways. Not for lovers, just for general awesome-ness.

    Although... you know... if I'm an unmarried castle owner...

    ReplyDelete